March 1st, 2014
Topic: Open Forum
- One member shared that an important township meeting was coming up for Green Brook to discuss the fact that the Township was planning to convert it’s Volunteer EMS system over to a paid system which would raise taxes as well as leave people who use the service with a large bill.
- Our meetings were discussed. I shared with the group the following budget
business Cards ($15.99/250) 10.00
Photocopies (10 cents/pg) 15.00 (avg. $10-$20/month)
Postage (mailings @ $1.13 ea. 10.00 (done when $ available
Brochures ($1 each) 10.00
Flyers ($1 each) 10.00
Food/gifts 15.00 (gifts/Journals/snacks
$122.00 per month
- 22.00 per mo. donations (avg)
March 15th, 2014
Topic: Being A Caregiver When You Are a Patient
Ice Breaker: If You Could Go Anywhere in the world (money and health were not a concern) where would you go? Some answers were: New Zealand, Greece, Key West, El Paso Texas, Turkey, Hawaii
- One member discussed having to move mom from an Assisted Living to a Nursing Home.
- Group discussed how substandard the level of care loved ones received in Nursing Home and hospitals is now. One member said that the exception was Hospice. Hospice was said to be very attentive and caring
- Group discussed how when you are caring for a loved one, but not well yourself, that you have less “patience for the patient” and then can feel guilty
- One resource recommended to help you take care of a loved one was
- Dr. Phil Show recently did a small segment on Fibromyalgia. (It aired perhaps on 3/13 or 3/14). The episode was listed as being an uncontrollable boy who was head-butting, biting and punching teachers but the last 10-15 minutes was about a wife who was struggling with her husband not being supportive of her illness and that he didn’t believe it because he didn’t understand it. A professional was on the show who explained it to him and gave some new information, newest info may point to Fibromyalgia being caused by a virus.
- Physical Therapists don’t necessarily “get” chronic illness. They unknowingly can cause an autoimmune disease (or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Fibromyalgia) go into a Flare-up by working you too hard during your sessions, even when you carefully interview them and you think you are on the same page they can forget! Or they just think you are OK to go full force, then you are suffering the next day or two
- One member recommends Aloe Vera juice an states she gets benefit from drinking this supplement daily
- One member is pending back surgery as well as rotator cuff. This member is also dealing with ear pain and some of her labs are off